Kim Lovegrove F.A.I.B.
Kim Lovegrove FAIB is a senior lawyer with Lovegrove Smith & Cotton; a past Conjoint Professor of Building Regulation and Certification at the University of
Newcastle (New South Wales); Chairman of the Centre for Best Practice Building
Control; President of the Northern Chapter of the New Zealand Institute of
Building and a past President of the Australian Institute of Building (Victorian Chapter)
More specifically Kim Lovegrove:
- Authored or co-authored some 15 books on construction law
- Headed up the team that developed the National Model Building Act. The NMBA become the regulatory
reform template for overhaulingbuilding regulation in Vic (Building Act), NT (Building Act) NSW
(Part 4 of the EPAA).
- Was principal legal adviser to the NSW government on the Part 4 reforms to the Environmental Planning
- In March 2013 was invited by the Japanese Building Regulation review team to participate in a
Japanese building regulatory review “think tank” in Tokyo as an offshore law reform expert.
- Was a past Deputy Executive Director of the Australian Building Codes Board
- Past Assistant Director of the Division of Building Control Victoria
- In 1997, represented the Federal Government as a guest of the Japanese Government to advise a
ministerial forum on overhaul of Japanese building regulations
- Is foremost authority in Victoria and NSW on building regulations
- Was principal legal adviser to the Victorian Government on the development and implementation of the Building
Act Victoria 1993
and Assessment Act (late nineties)
- Is a past legal columnist for The Australian, Herald Sun and The Age
- Addressed conferences on construction law in London, Ottawa, Japan, Sweden, Paris
- Is a Chartered Building Professional
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Expert on building regulation, having been engaged by the Victorian and New South Wales Governments
to develop building laws in those jurisdictions. Also appeared in the planning list in the VCAT and has had
conduct of cases in the Land & Environment Court NSW. In 2013 was invited by Japanese advisory
government and law reform team to participate in building regulations reforms think tank in Tokyo.
Construction Dispute Resolution
Substantial experience in large scale construction disputes embracing civil and commercial arenas.
One such project related to resolution of a number of adjudication claims on the Commonwealth Games
Village. Expert on adjudication advocacy, arbitration advocacy and A.D.R.
Contract Advice and Drafting
Advice to builders on variations, latent conditions, extensions of time, progress payments and the Security
of Payment legislation, together with contract advice and drafting for builders and building surveyors.
Probity and compliance, capital works contracting, prosecution and enforcement in and building and
planning matters, property law and facilities/asset management legal advice, legal advice governing asset
and facilities management for the public and private sector.
Over 10 years experience in insurer and practitioner defendant matters.
- Resolution of building disputes
- VCAT advocacy
- Resolution of apartment and unit development disputes
- Domestic building contract advice and dispute resolution
Professor Lovegrove takes instructions in:
- Cross-jurisdictional disputes
- Representing offshore interests in Australia and NZ
- Trans-Tasman advice and disputes
- Mining and resources disputes
- Commercial and corporate debt recovery for offshore concerns
- Mediation of commercial and civil conflicts and disputes
Conjoint Professor Lovegrove has had conduct of arbitration matters for more than 25 years in a number of
Australian jurisdictions arbitration matters have culminated in the resolution of very complex high dollar value
commercial and design and construct disputes
Over 20 years experience, a leading building regulations lawyer in the country, a phenomenal amount of
experience at the high end, be it law reform, high dollar value litigious or high level advice.
Phone: 03 9600 1643